Monday, June 3, 2013

Politics: Obama Rally in Columbus, Ohio

The day before the election, I was sitting in my staging location, preparing for the big day. I was overwhelmed with emotion and anticipation. A few days earlier, my friend on the campaign who works for advance, notified me that the President would be hosting a rally in downtown Columbus with guests Jay Z and Bruce Springstein. I was SO excited. Luckily I had time to get away from my post for an hour to enjoy the event on the day before E-day. I dont know how it happened, but I managed to score a place right by the podium on the floor. It's crazy how far a camera in your hand will get you. 
Hours before I headed downtown for the rally, I welcomed my volunteers from all over the country and got them ready for a big day of campaigning. This group of kids were students that traveled all the way from New York to Ohio to volunteer their time for the President. 
Just a few hours into the day, we got word that the Mayor of Columbus was going to stop by our little office to welcome Ohio's Democratic Senatorial Candidate, Sherrod Brown for a visit. We were so excited to have such great guests at our local staging location. 
Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman and (now) Senator Sherrod Brown 
                      
It was such a great motivation to see these two prominent characters in our office the day before the election. It was then time to head downtown for even more motivation from our President. 
I have been lucky enough to see the President in person six times in the past couple of years but I never become immune to the greatness of Barack Obama. To stand in a stadium of thousands, in Columbus, Ohio, hours before polls open for one of the greatest elections of our time, it was hard not to get emotional. This was one of the most inspirational moments I can remember. 

The next day we elected Barack Obama for four more years. 
I could not be more happy to be a part of the experience.  

-MDB

No comments:

Post a Comment