Thursday, August 15, 2013

Blacksburg, VA


As I drove through the winding, mountainous roads of back-woods Appalachia, I rolled down the window to let in the crisp air, only the mountains can provide, as I made my second journey to the wonderfully unique town of Blacksburg, Virginia. Lana del Rey's melancholy melodies echoed in these lively woods and rolling valleys but did not match the joyous excitement I could barely contain on the inside. There is something special about seeing an old friend, when reuniting is incredibly overdue. Every exciting moment from the past replays in your mind like the highlights of your favorite television show or that dramatic scene towards the end of the movie which gives your eyes second-glimpses of important flashing scenes from before. This particular moment was no exception....well, without Hollywood's flashing effects worthy of invoking seizures. This weekend I visited Jacob. And I could not have been more ecstatic about it. 
The road to Blacksburg is definitely not less-traveled but I decided to take an alternate route across the Carolinas this weekend. Lately, I find it much more rewarding to add a couple minutes to a trip by taking the back roads to my destination. This decision proved well this time around as I found myself in some really awesome small towns with big potential. I managed to snap some photos from different angles along the way- courtesy of the tiny town speed limits of 15 mph or less. 
From ocean to mountains. 
After four and a half hours of rolling hills, I finally made it to the Hokie stones of Virginia Tech. 
 Whether Jacob will admit it or not, he has a great style of his own. Definitely influenced by his mountainous environment, Jacob dresses in subtle tones of natural colors that parallel his chill and inviting personality.
 Dressing to the environment is something that Courtney and I value immensely. When you travel someplace new, don't change your style, but make it your own with respects to the place you've visited. We see it as a challenge to better suit ourselves for the new atmosphere around us. 
On Saturday, Jacob served as my guide as we hiked an AMAZING trail through the woods to the Cascades. The woods were really a treat. So incredibly lush with life...massive with beauty. 
After about three miles of blissful nature, we arrived at the Cascades. For some reason, I have never been to a freaking waterfall...(with the exception of a frozen one in Switzerland)...so this was definitely a treat. I don't know why, but the power of this rushing water was extremely inspiring. 
These pink flowers were falling from the canopy above and seemed even more frail against the hard, jagged rocks and plunging water. 
We are higher than it looks. 
It was more than a treat to visit such a phenomenal, intelligent, and genuine person in this wonderland of natural beauty. There isn't a lot that goes on in Blacksburg, Virginia but I quickly realized that this is the best part about this magical town nestled in the Appalachian Mountains. As I drove home, I realized the cool, crisp air that welcomed me to Blacksburg served as a preface which this trip ultimately calmed the storm that was rushing through me- so powerful like the great cascades in the woods. A grounded, wonderful person, in a peaceful, wonderful place was exactly what I needed. 

“The search for truth is in one way hard and in the other way easy, for it is evident that no one can master it fully or miss it wholly. But each adds a little to our knowledge of nature, and from all the facts assembled there arises a certain grandeur.”


MDB

1 comment:

  1. Pictures need sources and locations in MLA format. Pictures misleading, not Blacksburg. Nice chesthair.

    ReplyDelete